Our Shearling Care Guide
You asked for more info on our most popular shearling styles and we listened by creating our definitive Shearling Care Guide. Whether you're the proud owner of a Therma Kota shearling, or have yet to join our shearling society, we hope this guide will help educate you on why this natural thermal wonder is something to be cherished. Let’s do this.
Caring for your shearling
Whether you’re the proud owner of a Therma
Kota shearling, or have yet to join our shearling society, we hope this guide will help educate you on this natural beauty. With proper care, this unique handmade piece will only get better with age. Don’t worry, it’s quite simple and we’re here to help.
First off, it’s important to understand, respect and appreciate irregularities and variations in the colours and texture of this sheepskin material. They are characteristic of its authenticity and should not be perceived as flaws.
Sheepskin is a natural lambskin pelt that features leather or sueded leather on one side, and plush shearling wool on the underside. Lightweight and luxuriously supple, sheepskin is one of nature’s greatest sources of insulation. Its soft wool fibres are naturally thermostatic, wicking away moisture for year-round comfort and breathability.
Our Essential Shearling Care Rules
When cared for properly, shearling is a long term investment in comfort and style. Therma Kota cannot take responsibility for any damage that occurs due to wear or application of treatment products, but is happy to advise and answer any questions about your shearling.
Email us at email@example.com for any questions
• Store in a cool, dry place.
• Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight to prevent fading.
• Never store in unbreathable enclosures such as plastic bags.
• Give the jacket some space in your closet so it is not cramped by other clothes. You want it to hang naturally, not in some contorted way.
• Always store on a solid coat hanger. Never drape it over a doorknob or other rounded or pointed forms (such as on a coat rack) to prevent warping.
• If it gets wet, lay the shearling flat to air-dry.
• Do not rub or brush sheepskin when it’s wet.
• Keep away from high heat sources such as blow dryers and radiators.
• Never put in the washing machine.
• All Therma Kota Napalan shearling is pretreated be stain and water resistant. To remove any dirt or markings that may occur, please see a reputable fur and leather cleaning specialist immediately.
• Do not use any silicone-based products on your shearling or ever apply any adhesives/stickers to its surface.
• Do not wear dark-wash denim or other fabrics prone to dye transfer with your shearling.
• Therma Kota recommends having your shearling cleaned seasonally by a professional.
• If winter solvents and salt accumulate on the jacket, they can damage the material.